Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

What We Know, What We Do

Daily Draw: Trilateral Tarot ~ Hierophant

Drawn with the top pointing left this card asks us to address the conscious choices we make each day. In many decks this figure is still referred to as Pope, and presented as a religious leader offering guidance or passing down the laws of thought and behavior.

I'm reminded by this card, setting all  religions aside, there are still basic individual moral precepts we each have that are built into our daily behavior. I've been mad enough to kill but stealing wouldn't cross my mind. I've lusted in my heart but barely have a nodding acquaintance with envy. Those doors are always there, this card asks us to be fully aware behavior is always a choice.

"There is no moral precept that does not have something inconvenient about it." ~ Denis Diderot 1713-1784

4 comments:

  1. I do like this view of the Hierophant, especially the emphasis on choice that you make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'behavior is always a choice'

    so true, and important to remember

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 is my number and the Hierophant my card. Not so much the religious aspect but perhaps more as a mentor or yes, offering guidance. Routines. I think it is easy to get stuck and forget we have choices. He is standing on the pentacle giving him a solid foundation. And with the five windows he is going to keep an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, Blogger has finally decided to let me comment on your blog again, after blocking me for weeks! Guess today I get to go through the green door :)

    Love this image, and your take on it, Sharyn - that we have choices at the level of how we bring our spiritual beliefs into daily practice.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn