Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Benevolent Dementia

Daily Draw: Thousand and One Nights Tarot ~ Queen of Wands

The get 'er done queen. That was my mother, farm raised during the great depression who grew into the classic 1950's mom. Four children, enormous garden and full pantry, raised hens 500 at a time for her egg and meat route. The house was always clean, hot meals were always on the table on time, thrifty, smart, and she thought rough camping really was a vacation.

I'm reminded by this card that mother is just a memory now for both of us. She is 87 and has dementia and today and yesterday are the blurs. But if there is such a thing she has a benevolent dementia...she is happy, she appreciates that she doesn't take any medicines, and that she is so much better off than many of the other residents where she lives. Her sense of humor is sharp and we still share good laughter when we can be together. She will always be the Queen of Wands to me.

"My memories pale as I prevail upon them again and again. They become more and more ghostly. I fear nothing so much as losing them altogether and having only my blank endless mind to live in." ~ E.L. Doctorow 1931-

3 comments:

  1. What a blessing to be happy in each moment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I experienced a bit of this with my grandparents, but I suspect it's much more striking when it's your parents, who you relied on in your youth. Wishing you happy times together!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn