Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Going Nowhere At All

Daily Draw: Thousand and One Nights Tarot ~ 6 of Swords

The frame of the Thousand and One Nights collection is Scheherazade keeping her head attached to her neck by telling a new tale to King Shahryar each night.This looks like a lovely one, peace after turmoil perhaps.

I'm reminded by this card of a catamaran ride off Maui in the mid-90's. Another time when I was grieving and depressed. And quitting smoking... About mid-trip we took an evening cruise on a catamaran. To nowhere. The creak of the rigging, the slap of the waves, the utter peace of the ocean and time, and suddenly I could feel tension draining out of my body like water. I like to see how each artist presents this card, going away or coming toward, joy or sorrow. Or the odd one, going nowhere at all.

"I went to Maui to stay a week and remained five. I never spent so pleasant a month before, or bade any place goodbye so regretfully. I have not once thought of business, or care or human toil or trouble or sorrow or weariness, and the memory of it will remain with me always." ~ Mark Twain  1835-1910

This visually stunning deck is from Lo Scarabeo 2005, art by Leon Carre (1888-1942), graphics by Pietro Alligo. Based on the collection of Ancient Eastern stories and fables (also known as the Arabian Knights) the oldest Arabic manuscript dates from the fourteenth century, although scholarship generally dates the collection's genesis to somewhere between AD 800–900. There is no associated deck book, so if the reader is very familiar with the multi-volume tales they might know which story each card art is alluding to. I haven't read the books so I'm basing my readings on the art before me...your mileage may vary.

1 comment:

  1. The beauty of the artwork in this deck makes me sigh with pleasure.
    Hope you find some calm, soothing rivers to float on soon, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn