Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Throw The Wine

Daily Draw: Ancient Feminine Wisdom ~ Hebe

Some research on Hebe brought this paragraph from the epic 48 volume poem Nonnus by Dionysiaca circa AD 490. It made me laugh and then brought me back to yesterday's arrows thoughts.
"Nonnus, Dionysiaca 33. 74 ff : 
"[The godlings Eros and Hymenaios were playing a game of cottabus in which wine was thrown from cups at a mark:] [Eros] on the golden top of Olympos, shooting the nectar-drops from a cup. Beside him stood Hymenaios, his fair-haired playfellow in the dainty game . . . A large silver basin stood for their game, and the shooting mark before them was a statue of Hebe shown in the middle pouring the wine. The umpire in the game was Ganymedes, cupbearer of Kronides [Zeus], holding the garland." 
courtesy   http://www.theoi.com/Ouranios/Hebe.html

I'm reminded by this card, the story, and Hebe's goblet of nectar for the renewal of the spirit that each day is a new gift, and rather than a victim full of arrows, today I can choose to envision myself as part of a laughter filled game of toss the wine at Hebe/Sharyn. That won't kill me either.

"She throw wine on me
So ah throw wine on she
She throw wine on me
That make me throw wine on she
She throw wine. Ah throw wine.
She throw wine. Ah throw wine.
She throw wine. Ah throw wine.
Ah throw wine on she." ~ Throw Wine, Prophet Benjamin (Devon Samuel 1978-)

The deck this week is Ancient Feminine Wisdom of Goddess and Heroines, card art by Kay Steventon, 64 page companion booklet by Brian Clark. Published by U.S. Games Systems, Inc. 2007.

2 comments:

  1. Kay Stevenson got a really distinctive style to all her art, you see right away it is by her hand. I got the Spiral and the Celestial but this is the first time I see this one, very nice. Love the little verse you added here :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her style also, it is why I bought this deck. I know squat about mythic legends, but it fun to learn bits when I use this one.

    The Spiral is one of my favorites. The Celestial I've passed on as it seems a melding of the two I have.
    thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn