Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Bum's Rush

Daily Draw: OH Cards ~ Laughter

This week I'll be using a two deck set called OH Cards, which can be used as a game, or for "Explorations of Self and Dialogues of Acceptance" according to the cover booklet. One deck is large with words on the borders, the smaller group is made up of images. Each deck has 88 cards.

I don't know that I'd ever laugh at a street corner bum, they are everywhere here with their hungry or need work signs. And dogs, and most are smoking. For those smoking, my personal theory is they are better off than I am. At $7.00-9.00 a pack in this state even if I wished to start smoking again I couldn't afford it.  Judgmental?..yeah. I'll work on that.

As a callow youth, maybe 14 years old without a mean bone in my body, I was once part of a group of six girls looking for a bum to roll. My guess is we'd have screamed and ran like the wind if we'd run across one. But it shows me the power of a strong or charismatic leader. And how easily a good kid can go bad. When I read stories of young people up to no good, I always wish I knew the rest of the story.

"Modern society calls the beggar bum and panhandler and gives him the bum's rush. But the Greeks used to say that people in need are the ambassadors of the gods." ~ Peter Maurin 1877-1949

5 comments:

  1. Your post made me think about bums & how they're treated. Some are to be avoided, most are probably okay. If I imagine one of my brothers out there in the streets it does change my attitude towards them.
    What is that saying..."there but by the grace of God go I"..or something like that.
    Interesting blog...using tarot cards as a tool for reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I see in this image today is a reminder to laugh even in the face of adversity, else why carry on at all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure about the "laughter" in this card. Yes, there are those that laugh at the bum on the street corner. We also have panhandlers with signs asking for money so they can eat but it does seem when they get some money, it is off to the corner store for cigarettes. I have seen it first hand. Yeah, I'm judgmental about it. I would rather give them the food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked at this deck a number of times over the years in a store in London. I never really got it. And now seeing it on your blog, I do. Thanks. It looks really interesting.

    In terms of the 'laughter' side to it, I was thinking about how laughter might be shared with someone who we might not expect to. Would a shared joke or acknowledgement be what they need, above money, to smile? Often, I rush on by without thinking. They are there, like the telephone boxes and the shop shutters and the pigeons.

    Interesting combination and thoughts.

    Prince Le Normand

    ReplyDelete
  5. the fun or interest of this deck is how no two people will ever see or think of the same things...I guess I probably write stream-of-conscience but even more so with this deck.
    Who knows what I'll share tomorrow :)

    Thank you all for stopping by,
    Sharyn

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn