Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Dare To Think

Daily Draw: Druid Animal Oracle ~ Hare

No white fluffy in the backyard hutch bunny is this. This isn't your mindless holiday rabbit with invented task of hauling candy eggs around to keep the hoi polloi occupied. This is an old world Hare; smarter, faster, more intuitive to what the stalkers were up to, screams like a child if caught, and whose hide was a rounded depression in the grass, used interchangeably with the plover at laying time. He stands alert to danger but will not live a life of quivering anxiety. He has a brain and doesn't kowtow to what Little Golden Book stories have reduced his descendants to.

I'm reminded by this card how grateful I am to be born in a country where I can think for myself. Where I haven't been selectively bred to be a rabbit. I can choose what to believe and even better yet, what not to. I can vote for whom I wish and never have to think in time of trouble, who can I pay off to make this go away. Where basic education is the right of all, occupation is not preselected for us and who we marry or don't and if we have children or not are decisions left to us. We may be on the handcart to eventual oblivion like civilizations of the past, but in the meanwhile I wouldn't be anywhere else.

"We must dare to think about unthinkable things because when things become unthinkable, thinking stops and action becomes mindless." ~ James William Fulbright 1905-1995

1 comment:

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn