Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Deal With It

Daily Draw: Druid Animal Oracle ~ Raven

We don't have ravens here, but crows are plentiful. I say good morning as they fly off in a murder to work, and good evening when the murder returns home. They are both smart and clever birds which according to Druid lore can signify the ending of old conflicts and fresh starts. This is reflected in his posture, turned toward the future, looking at the past.

I'm reminded by this card I've spent a lot of time this past year analyzing. I've let a number of things fly free, I've uncovered a common thread which explains much. Instead of denial I've chosen acceptance and help. I've made a couple of enormous commitments and kicked a few millstones of carrion to the curb. For being such a black year I hope never to see the like of again, as always, some good has come from it. In Ravenspeak I had to recognize what I'd swallowed as carrion. We take it in, digest it endlessly and then forget or refuse to pass it back out.

"Does wisdom perhaps appear on the earth as a raven which is inspired by the smell of carrion?" ~ Friedrich Nietzsche 1844-1900

 This week's deck is The Druid Animal Oracle, written by Philip and Stephanie Carr-Gomm with Bill Worthington doing the card art. I love this deck, Mr. Worthington's art is beautifully rendered giving much food for thought.

2 comments:

  1. We didn't have ravens here (east-central Saskatchewan) when I was a teenager in the seventies, either. Now they've come down from the north and there are as many of them as of crows.

    We also didn't use to see bald eagles, raccoons, cougars or moose here. Now they are becoming common.

    My dad says when HE was growing up here, you never saw porcupines. Now they're regular inhabitants.

    It's interesting how this is. Another thing we didn't have was woodticks. Darn it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw a crow this morning chasing off a hawk more than twice its size. I love these birds; they appear to be goofy yet are so incredibly smart.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn