Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Questionable Honor

Daily Draw: Druid Animal Oracle ~ Bear

What do you suppose he is thinking this mid-winter day when he should be hibernating? Bear is said to combine power, intuition, and instinct, and has been central to many human ceremonies going back thousands and thousands of years. Warriors wore the pelts,   and once structured religion entered the picture they were often reduced to a caged life of bear baiting. Adding insult to injury the Chinese still cut the feet off living bears.

I'm reminded by this card being a powerful leader has got to be tough. T'were me, in spite of the honor I'd rather be a garden worm. Being honored carries far too high a price.

"The Puritan hated bear baiting not because it gave pain to the bear, but because it gave pleasure to the spectators." ~ Thomas Babington Macaulay 1800-1859

2 comments:

  1. I compare the much younger picture of Obama when he was running for his first term with the gray-haired version now. Must be something other than just blind ambition there to put himself through another four years of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I realized after I made the post it might be construed as political, it isn't. I haven't even looked at the election results yet. But it could apply, you'd have to have an ego the size of Mt. Denali to live in the public's eye and have every word and action analyzed and reanalyzed. No I wouldn't care for that life either...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn