Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Gimmies

Daily Draw: Guardians of Wisdom Tarot ~ 4 of Coins

Honing in on the only words that I agree with, "your efforts give you the ability" and it comes back to consistency of those efforts. On the other hand I don't agree with the airy advice "you can have anything you want, if you try hard enough" or even worse "if you want it badly enough'.

I am reminded by this Elder and the people around him in both need and want he is more likely thinking 'why should I give what I've worked for when you haven't made a dedicated effort on your own behalf?'. Elders are often  generous of heart, mind, and pocket when they see some genuine achievements. By that time we've figured out we can do it without gimmies.

"Having, then, once introduced an element of inconsistency into his system, he was far too consistent not to be inconsistent consistently, and he lapsed ere long into an amiable indifferentism which to outward appearance differed but little from the indifferentis." ~ Samuel Butler 1835-1902 The Way Of All Flesh

2 comments:

  1. I agree completely with this post and think it is a disservice to tell people they can have anything they want; better to tell them they can accomplish much with hard work. That quote boggles my brain... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...cracked me up.
    I'm getting a number of hits on my site coming from your blog. Have you checked your stats lately?
    Sharyn

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn