Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sundowning

Daily Draw: Thoth Tarot ~ 5 of Wands

Sundowning is fairly common in dementia, which is increased confusion and restlessness beginning in the afternoon. As strife, it would be easy to fall into the trap of "I just told you" rather than calmly repeating "the light is on mom, see?". AM and PM become a huge struggle; "I've slept in this chair all night?", "are you sure it is morning?", "One PM, then it is time to go to bed?".

I'm reminded by this card, if she isn't mad (anger can be instantaneous with no known trigger) my mom is an absolute kick in the mornings. She can crack clever jokes, recognize foods, and pat my hands. In the afternoon everything goes dim. I sat beside her for 45 minutes yesterday talking about her memories focusing on the 50's, and about every 10 minutes she would sigh, look out the window, and say "they all have jobs and are busy". I would say "I'm here mom" and she'd ask who I was.

"It is better to live in peace than in bitterness and strife." ~ Confucius 551-479 BC

2 comments:

  1. I am happy you have pulled your tarot deck out again.:D
    Strife is best be met by patience in situations like ours

    ReplyDelete
  2. My MIL called us at 9:30pm several weeks ago, having a fit because they hadn't delivered her morning paper. This weekend she got in a tizzy because she kept calling her daughter and her number was constantly busy (she was dialing her own phone number). Calm composure and a sense of humor is a must. Hugs to both of you.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn