Friday, March 21, 2014

Takes A Cog To Know A Cog

Daily Draw: Durer Tarot ~ Knight of Coins

He is looking back. Towards home? Thinking over past battles? The sweetheart he left behind? Was he shunted off because there was no place for younger sons under English inheritance laws? That's what used to keep the monasteries and ungodly crusades peopled. Or perhaps he is thinking it is pretty good duty here at the fort? His horse is well fed, he has a pretty big coin on hand. What about the weapon? Were these knights at the head of the charge? It would take brawny strength to make that weapon useful more than once.

I'm reminded by this card of the people doing their jobs around us every day, which have dozens of nuances oblivious to us. It is the workers of the world who keep life spinning on, whose actions each day move the hands of clocks and time. A nuclear bomb would be far less dangerous than if all we cogs just stopped doing what we do.

"Capt. Kirk: There is one thing you could do.
Cyrano Jones: Yes.
Capt. Kirk: Pick up every tribble on the space station. If you do that I'll speak to Mr. Lurry about returning your spaceship.
Cyrano Jones: It would take years!
Spock: 17.9 to be exact.
Capt. Kirk: Consider it job security." ~ David Gerrold 1944-

5 comments:

  1. On time, some years ago, I have calculated how many times I had made dinner, did groceries brought the kids to school did the laundry etc. the numbers made my head spin but they also made me very, very proud. It is nothing to do a chore. but is is a great thing to do them over and over again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes when I eat I think about all the hands and effort that went into getting that food to me. Mind boggling. Loved the "Trouble with Tribbles" episode, even though I wasn't a Trekkie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think about it when someone crabs about semi-trucks on the road. Everything we use was handled by truck at one point or another. There aren't any train tracks to the grocery stores or mall or post office or ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post could keep me thinking for hours. Such a springboard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought of you when I drew this knight, you always have such interesting insight on your knights.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn