Saturday, November 15, 2014

Magpie Bait

Daily Draw: Lojong for the Layperson ~ Slogan 55

Slogan 55, liberate yourself by examining and analyzing. Liberation from chronic habits we don't want allows us to experience a calm and relaxed state that is authentic rather than superficial. (pine tree cross section showing pith and rings)

I'm reminded by this card of 'removing the bookmark'. To keep myself within my two hour limit on computer time, ever so often I have to review my bookmarks. I got into the habit, which is a polite word for addiction, about ten years ago, of cruising Ebay for rhinestone brooches. It started out once a week-ish I'd look, and sometimes I'd find something and sometimes I wouldn't. When I finally removed the bookmark I was scanning new items two or three times a day. I never bid more than $10.50, but I had a lot of wins and a drawer full of pretties. Funny how removing the bookmark stopped me cold. Could it be I'm a lazy bum in addition to all my other faults? Probably...but I do love my pretties and wear them all. Not necessarily at the same time.

"Jack Beauregard: You shine like the door of a whorehouse. A blind man could spot you ten miles off.
Nobody: I like folks to see me.
Jack Beauregard: Maybe folks don't share your pleasure." ~ My Name Is Nobody 1973

5 comments:

  1. Some how removing the"I want/need a cigarette" bookmark isn't that easy. I've been a non smoker for one and a half year now and almost daily this "page" pops up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I know what you mean, it has probably been 20 years since I quit but sometimes I still think a smoke would really help get past some drama. But not smelling like a cigarette butt tops the need every time. Smokers don't think they smell but they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't finish my thought. We do remove the bookmarks by cleaning them out of the house, purse, auto, and for me, avoiding weakening my resolve by having alcohol. Fortunately here in my state no smoking is no longer allowed in any public building. Even having had lung cancer doesn't resolve the want though, although I had a odd type that didn't have anything to do with carcinogens.

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, the collection addiction.... Crystals and gemstones, books, Zuni fetishes, tarot and oracle decks. Seems like I eventually hit rock bottom and don't feel the pull so much. But there's always something new and shiny to collect on the internet to take its place. I'm beginning to see why you have a web time limit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find myself scanning for a new deck every so often. It's only every month or so but I trail fthrough the sites, looking at old ones missed and new ones not seen. To be honest, if it wasn't for being so disappointed by purchases already and not liking 90% of what comes out these days, I'd probably be ordering. I hardly make purchases but the desire to buy a new one is always there.

    I haven't smoked for three years, but the urge does come over me when I have worked on something and feel like I need a reward. It's been two and a half years of no alcohol, but I don't get any pull from that at all.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn