Thursday, February 5, 2015

Civility

Daily Draw: Enchanted Tarot ~ 5 of Wands

Arguments. Hate 'em. Unlike classroom debates where each side goes at it from an intellectual point of view, arguments have triggers, hot spots, mad before I even get started points.

I'm reminded by this card of Facebook. I was late to the party so what seems radically uncivil to me seems everyday behavior to others. If my friends and I were  in a room together, we'd never flash placards about our religion or politics. We are too well mannered.
I don't make friend requests and there isn't a single person that I've approved a friend request from that I haven't known more than ten years, some as many as fifty. Only three or four are still in my feed. Seeing the religious and political signs they put up radically changed how I perceive them.
I knew before what their religious feelings were and which parties they supported, what I can't get past now is the in your face incivility of people I thought a lot better of. I use facebook for the quilting,.. and my blog for opinions. It has never been written for anyone but me.

"The veneer of civilization is exceedingly thin." ~ Karin Tansek

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a Facebook page for this reason. It feels too much like a way to stay behind a protective wall while you shout whatever you want from behind it.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn