Thursday, February 12, 2015

Compassion

Daily Draw: EartHeart Wisdom + Myth Magic ~ Compassion

Like Artemis, Kuan Yin chose her path rather than  have a mission or life thrust upon her. She chose to work toward a goal of peace, also declining the further step to Buddha, remaining a Bodhisattva, immortal, seeker of wisdom on her own path.

I wonder as I travel my own path of becoming if I will ever achieve true compassion, for those political and religious world leaders who fan the flames for their own greed, who feed their children to the war machine generation after generation.  I'm reminded by this card, umm, I don't think so. Nope. Won't happen. Best I can promise is to be pleasant to those I meet today. People are pretty fun one to one, if you take a minute to engage them on that level.

"Long life, Beauty, Happiness, Status, is welcome, agreeable, pleasant, and hard to obtain in the world.
...Now, I tell you, these... things are not to be obtained by reason of prayers or wishes. If they were to be obtained by reason of prayers or wishes, who here would lack them? It's not fitting for the disciple of the noble ones who desires long life to pray for it or to delight in doing so. Instead, the disciple of the noble ones who desires long life should follow the path of practice leading to long life. In so doing, he will attain long life..." ~ Gautama Buddha 480 BCE - 400 BCE  Ittha Sutta, AN 5.43

2 comments:

  1. I think this quote is great! I don't like praying for a good outcome or a solution for a problem either. Rather I pray for patience and strength etc. This card reminds me a lot of the Strength card in Tarot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang it, if I end up buying these cards, I'm blaming it on you and JJ. Neither of y'all do by-the-book readings with these decks, which makes them seem even more desirable. :D
    If you go by the literal definition of compassion, it means to be willing to sit with another's pain. I think you have done this enough to qualify as a bodhisattva in training. :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn