Friday, March 20, 2015

DD214 - I Give Up

Daily Draw: Llewellyn Tarot ~ 8 of Cups

The State of Washington supplements mother's care at the memory care facility where she lives. The State said I have to get the Veterans Administration on board, via dad's WWII army service, to help pay or mom is in peril of losing critical State financial assistance.

I'm reminded by this card there is nothing remotely relating to dad's DD214 discharge certificate in the few things of mother's that remain in my possession. I've been working on/with the VA since October on this, trying to get a copy of the DD214, without which the VA will accept no responsibility for any benefits. Problem is there was a huge fire in July of 1973 and the records for Army discharged between 1912-1959 and Air Force prior to 1964 whose names begin with I-Z were destroyed.
I've received and sent form after form after form with identical forms coming back to be filled out again, with the warning that the above veterans records were lost in the fire.

I say all this because if you or family were discharged from Army or Air Force in those years, now is the time to find that form in your current possessions. I wish you well rather than an 8 of Cups outcome.

"Caesar's double-bed is warm
As an unimportant clerk
Writes I do not like my work
On a pink official form." ~ W.H. Auden 1907-1973

2 comments:

  1. Geez louise, the government does make a mess of things. Is there anyone with skin on (at the VA) that you can ask what to do? I spent years filling out forms to get my biological father's Army medical records (for my information), but gave up after the stack of forms got taller than me. (((S)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, real people both state and federal. It simply doesn't exist anymore. I also don't have his date of separation other than 1945 and my aunt and uncle that he lived with a short time are also deceased. I really don't think the state can cut off mothers payment but the threat has been a black spot for months. Such is life in a paperwork driven world.

      Delete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn