Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Transliterate

Daily Draw: Pictish Oracle ~ Ogham

Ogham is an Irish alphabet whose time frame coincides with the Pictish. If the Siberians crossed into the Americas via the Beringia circa 10,000 BCE it is easy to imagine the Picts and Celts crossing paths in both battle and trade goods at later more modern dates. The author says this tile is often transliterated as the root meaning is unclear. I had to look up transliterated. In SharynSpeak it is a form of I said, you said, they said, and it comes back to me unrecognizable as mine.

All that said to say...I'm reminded by this tile of communication to keep my mind and ears turned on today. Exaggeration and imagination are put on hold, lest I misunderstand really good news as dramatic doom; it is a human trait to only assimilate what we think is relevant, and transliterate the rest.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." ~ George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950

5 comments:

  1. "Exaggeration and imagination are put on hold" That must be a hard thing to do
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask questions and assume nothing (ask more questions). Wonderful irony in that Shaw quote. Hugs to you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my Celtic language - Welsh igam-ogam means zig-zag.
    Thinking good thoughts Little Miss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for stopping by!
    good news all around. I about fainted when she showed me last weeks image there was a spot about the size of a quarter, right in the middle.
    But she took two again and the mass was gone...she just hadn't squeezed hard enough. Thanks for the good thoughts! Forgot to put my fitbit on when I changed bras this morning but I'm guessing I've gotten in about 2K steps running errands in town
    hugs, sharyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so relieved and happy for you and also for Rob! Now you two can continue honeymooning :D
      Big Hug

      Delete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn