Saturday, April 11, 2015

Running The World Gamut

Daily Draw: Shining Tribe Tarot ~ Strength

Strength cards run the gamut from gently coping with passions and prisons, to wrestling with and/or beating to death our demons, to flinging all caution aside and wildly riding the beast into the ground or the sunset.

I'm reminded by this card I once had a teacher whose chosen method of chastisement was having the miscreant running the gamut of two rows of other students hitting them as he/she zipped by. I wouldn't be a school child today for anything. Instead of fearing/embracing a small self-contained world they now have access to everything. Where can children draw the Strength from to cope with the full-tilt world?

"The world is not a playground; it is a schoolroom. Life is not a holiday, but an education." ~ Henry Drummond 1851-1897

3 comments:

  1. This is such a great post, from your amusing but pithy synopsis of the iterations of Strength card depictions to the rather appalling discipline methods used a few decades earlier in the school system. What made you draw inferences from this card and childhood? It's a wonderful trajectory but not one I come across often and I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Rose. To tell you the truth I don't know where I draw this stuff from, but responding from a technical viewpoint, I write my posts which are wordy and extensive... and then edit them down. The word gamut was in the first paragraph pre-edit, and the school experience popped into my mind from that. I don't remember anymore if I was a hittor or hittee, no doubt both. I was also the recipient of hacks from wooden paddles. The internal strength required of children to cope with these experiences brings me back to Strength.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Sharyn, for sharing your process with it. Also, looking at the art in this deck inspires a certain child-like feeling though I realize that the images themselves arose out of a place of deep realization on the author's part. Still, there is something innocent, almost basic about them that fits with your observations.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn