Thursday, May 7, 2015

Cedar

Daily Draw: Native American Tarot ~ 5 of Coins

The suit of Coins is signified by nature, in the case of this 5 of Coins, cedar. I first took issue with this card because I've never seen a cedar like this. A google search shows it is possible for a cedar to look more leafy than frondy, and old growth does turn brown and fall off so maybe in the artist's eye this looks and smells and carves and burns like cedar anywhere.

I'm reminded by this card looks aren't everything. Fake blueberries are rampant in food products and few give it a thought. If it tastes and looks like blueberries are you satisfied with that? I'm sure there are many others, but I'm busy avoiding anything marked blueberry... Anyway, cedar is one of the four major medicine plants used in ritual and ceremony, along with sage, sweet grass, and tobacco, whose roots go deep and whose smoke reaches the sky.
I'll give a few of my cedars a hug, for being so beautiful, and useful. What right do I have to ask more of nature?

"Only when the last tree has been cut down
Only when the last river has been poisoned
Only when the last fish has been caught
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." ~ Cree Indian Prophecy

1 comment:

  1. How lovely to have cedars in your own backyard! I do love the smell of cedar

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn