Sunday, May 31, 2015

Give Me Strength

Daily Draw: Art of Life Tarot ~ Strength

Way back in the good old days before we realized cigarettes were dangerous Virginia Slims had adverts based on "You've Come A Long Way Baby". The focus of one was the fact that in latter days a fully dressed woman was carrying forty+ pounds of clothing. This looks to be even more.

I'm guessing it was women who had servants and nothing to do but sit around who dressed like that. No countryside woman with dirt floors in an agricultural eat or be eaten society would be so foolish.  I'm reminded by this card being a slave to fashion is a fool's game. So was smoking...but we have, comparatively speaking, come a long way baby.

"It would be mortifying to the feelings of many ladies, could they be made to understand how little the heart of a man is affected by what is costly or new in their attire." ~  Jane Austen 1775-1817    Northanger Abbey

Art of Life Tarot, by Charlene Livingstone, published 2012 U.S. Games Systems

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha! My husband never did see if I wore new cloths. He did however immediately notice if I had tried a new recipe....The way to a man's heart...:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take blue jeans, hiking boots and t-shirts any day over that kind of get-up!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn