Thursday, June 18, 2015

Survival

Daily Draw: Celtic Lenormand Tree/Oak

I saw a few trees like this when I visited England and Wales. As an admitted nature susceptible I could feel the weight of centuries rolling off the trunk. In some ways they hardly look like trees anymore, as all have suffered the slings and arrows of time, but lived to show the story. But what catches my imagination this morning are those acorns in the forefront. The acorns here are tiny, fingernail size, and coat the ground in the fall.  I've wondered if they were edible but was never hungry enough to look into it. Today I have.

The Celtic age dates from 750 BC to 43 AD and acorns would have been a sought after agricultural commodity, high in fats and carbs, critical to sustaining life during fallow seasons. They require processing and like tobacco, cocoa, and coffee beans, I wonder what ancient brilliant worked out how to do it. I'm reminded by these acorns, of all the things today we don't give a thought to, that were critical to the survival of our ancestors.

"Humor keeps us alive. Humor and food. Don't forget food. You can go a week without laughing." ~ Joss Whedon 1964-

3 comments:

  1. I did know pigs love them. They consider them a treat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Joss Whedon quote! Love Firefly!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn