Thursday, July 2, 2015

Beyond Ourselves

Daily Draw: Mythic Tarot ~ Moon

I've read three myths about Hecate this morning, all different. Not surprising I suppose as myths predate myths predate myths. One reason I'm not a believer in oral tradition as history or cack handed translations.

I'm reminded by this card one thing the ancient god myths and current god stories have in common is enormous rage and extraordinary punishment. I'm going nowhere with this post, only thinking I'd expect a god to have more self control than an infant. One reason I don't believe in gods of any era. But they are sure fun to read about, great ranging tales with grief and fear and the occasional happy ending and bravery and cowardice and thinking beyond the box of credibility. Isn't that what a good story is all about? Something beyond ourselves.

"Mistress of the crossroads, this lunar goddess dwells in caves, walks the highways at night, makes love on the vast seas, and is the force that moves the moon." ~ Demetra George 1946-

5 comments:

  1. It seems we've made our gods from human images (and not necessarily the nice side either). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "man has created god in his own image"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. or a god designed by politics to keep people in line...like the ancient holy days reorganization

      Delete
  3. I agree with you on the idea that a god should have more self control than an infant. It's a very reasonable thing to expect. I couldn't get behind the idea of a divinity who would throw a temper tantrum. I sure as heck woulnd't follow a PERSON who couldn't behave like a reasonable adult, let alone a divine person. I... believe in some aspects of some gods (well, mostly goddesses), but I think the stories that have made it down to us have been so muddled and (love this phrasing!) cack handedly translated and bias injected that they're probably nothing at all like the original stories. It's probably why I love reading re-imagined myths and stories :)

    I just started following your blog and thank you for sharing your draws, I'm still very much a tarot novice and it's wonderful to hear another perspective.

    Also that deck (Mythic Tarot) looks beautiful. Off to read more about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Caitirin, I'm glad you left a note. I've been doing these so long I'm sure many readers wonder where I'm coming from, but if you think about it, the base meaning is somewhere in there :)

      There are two Mythic tarots, the original which I have, which is now out of print, but which can still be gotten very reasonably on the secondary market. The New Mythic has the art revamped.
      all the best, Sharyn

      Delete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn