Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Hard Times

Daily Draw: Minchiate Etruria ~ 8 of Coins

My father in law was eleven years old when the 1929 depression hit. One of the jobs he + mother and sister had during those years was picking up plums. The 'old woman' as he called her shorted their pay every week. Gene worked up his courage and went to her office, asking for their true pay. She refused and fired all three of them on the spot. He said he wasn't leaving until he had their full pay and sat down.

Constructing our own fortune. I'm reminded by this card at the end of the day she paid them and said they were rehired. It was a rotten job but any job was of great value then. My uncle Chuck once told me he was hired as a child during those times to pull/cut the fleece off of sheep who'd died in the fields during freezing weather. I've said my worst job was working for nine attorneys and their enormous egos; but I was paid well, worked in beautiful surroundings, wore pretty dresses, and had lots of laughs with the 'back staff'.  What do I know of hard times and starvation? Nothing but the stories...but they taught me the value of saving and constructing my own fortune.

"It's a difficult truth to face that some people choose to define themselves by the pain they feel or the wrongs they've suffered. They're not going through hard times so much as making all times hard." ~ Dani Harper

4 comments:

  1. I imagine hard times today would be defined by being without internet for a few hours or the air conditioning not working in our cars. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about this quite often. Life is always complicated but it didn't used to be so full of stuff. I've seen so many people applying for assistance, but their life is full of stuff, recorders/cds/computers/phones, tattoos, even microwaves and dishwashers are considered a necessity today. I guess that is why hard times come around with some regularity. The world didn't used to have bail outs which extend the pain..

      Delete
  2. My parents have both experienced WW2 and especially my mother has been through very hard times which among other things resulted in finding it extremely difficult to throw anything away. Although I don't need to be that frugal it is still hard for me to throw something out when it is not broken or worn.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I worked through FlyLady's decluttering system the one thing everyone said time and time again was "but I might need it some day". I never have needed anything yet that has gone out the door.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn