Sunday, July 5, 2015

Piece of the Jigsaw

Daily Draw: Minchiate Etruria ~ 6 of Swords

A new path... my niece had a beach wedding yesterday, gorgeous day gorgeous future. People are living longer, until she was six she had four grandparents and three great grandparents. At thirty she still has two grandmothers living. Among the gathering were her father's three sons and one ex-wife and husband with their daughter who calls Miranda auntie. Her real dad and step-dad and his wife were there.

I'm reminded by this card of today's families. Perhaps broken, but extended is a better word. They were all there, happy for Miranda, laughing and talking together. I shake my head and moan about today's world and no moral center, but broken families didn't much turn out in full force at weddings when I was thirty. Unless it was to carp about each other and fight in the parking lot... I'll give full chops to those modern puzzle box families who are making it work.

"Having a family is like having a bowling alley installed in your brain." ~ Martin Mull 1943

2 comments:

  1. As a member of one of those puzzle box families (both growing up and at present), I will say it requires a conscious effort. But more important is selflessness. I bet those who came to the wedding were more concerned about the bride than themselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree join you in saluting the extended peaceful living families. I think it is quite extraordinary, especially for the kids involved

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn