Sunday, October 25, 2015

Say Do Be Nothing

Daily Draw: Tea Leaf Fortune Cards ~ Cup

I've written a number of times about how it seems difficult for women of my generation to accept a compliment with grace rather than negation. But what about criticism?

Oh, the mental histrionics when the boss leaves a sticky note on the desk saying "Lets Talk". Or the glowing annual review with just that tiny little suggestion where we could do better. What do we go over and over in our mind? The compliments? Hardly.  I will say, I do appreciate Rob's viewpoint when I ask him for an opinion, as long as I remember to say "tell me what you think, not what to do".

"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing"
 Aristotle 384 BC-322 BC

Tea Leaf Fortune Cards, 2011, published by US Games Systems. 94 page soft cover book, Rae Hepburn, art by Shawna Alexander. 188 tea leaf cards, 12 month cards, 6 astral house cards.

2 comments:

  1. Accepting criticism is hard because it often implies the other knows better....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Compliments stick as if served on teflon, but criticism is like velcro.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn