Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Potential Unrealized

Daily Draw: Thoth Tarot ~ Prince of Swords

Thoughts without action, potential unrealized. Sadly, how I view  those I'd like to help the most.

We are formulating our wills. Many people I have known, won't make their will because they are discouraged in the way their children handle their finances. I used to wonder why elders with more than enough for themselves seldom give their children extra money.  Last time I looked a parent could give a child $12.000.00 a year without the child being required to pay income tax on the sum.
But then they will the entire lot to them. Is it the 'I can't see it so it can't bother me' syndrome?  We never had children, so ours gets a little more ticklish.  Know any good causes where the donations don't go into the director's big pockets?  I'd like our estate to have potential, unlike this Prince.

"When you have told anyone you have left him a legacy, the only decent thing to do is die at once" ~ Samuel Butler 1835-1902

8 comments:

  1. There are always Kiva microfinancing loans to be made. Maybe there could be a setup where all loans, once repaid, would automatically be re-lent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just read through a couple of pages, it is like kickstarter isn't it. My cynical self is having a lot of trouble with most of those requests. but I very much like the idea behind it. If I didn't have to be dead for my estate to be shared ;) I'll bet something could be designed to do this locally. I feel a little ad in the paper coming on...before we don't have a paper anymore.

      Delete
  2. You might check out any potential candidates here:
    https://www.charitywatch.org/home

    ReplyDelete
  3. We support the Fred hollows foundation www.hollows.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very interesting.Amazing how far money can go in a third world area. A doctor here probably wouldn't go around the block for 18.00.

      Delete
    2. I know. I am impressed that they set up local factories to manufacture the lenses and train local personnel.
      Such a small amount of money to give someone their sight.

      Delete
  4. We also support www.hamlin.org.au
    Which supports the hamlin fistula hospital and midwifery training Centre in ethiopia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. fistula is a good one. how about doctors without borders? OxFam gets a lot of mentions in some of our english mysteries. The big thrifts here pay their upper staff a Fortune... Still thinking :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn