Sunday, January 17, 2016

Nothing But Excuses

Daily Draw: Spiral Tarot ~ Ace of Cups

The spiral represents the ongoing life/death process and the energy of love. No mention of the responsibility that comes with love.

Twice a week at the memory care home mother gets a shower. The staff get hit, kicked, bit, and spit upon for their effort. With plenty of shouting to frost the cake. When I think of the responsibility of love I think of how my dad would look at me if he knew I'd placed her in a home. The bruised eyes, the long face...and there would be absolutely nothing I could say in my defense. Not to my father.

"Moral justification is a powerful disengagement mechanism. Destructive conduct is made personally and socially acceptable by portraying it in the service of moral ends." ~ Albert Bandura 1925-

Spiral Tarot card art and 158 page book by Kay Steventon.  Published in 1998, US Games Systems.  The Spiral is based on archetypes from Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, and Arthurian myths, and includes the symbols from the Kabbalah's Tree Of Life.

2 comments:

  1. This feeling of guilt will stay with you always. Believe I know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who is not as attached as my husband and SIL, I think it is easier for me to deal with the abuse from someone with dementia. When you have history and heartstrings attached, it feels personal, no matter how logical you try to be. I bet your dad would be grateful that you took care of her for as long as you did.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn