Friday, April 15, 2016

Do You Bub?

Daily Draw: Personal Oracle ~ Forgotten Library

Last summer, before I realized I was actually losing my sight, I put three different books in the donate to the local library pile. I thought publishers were penny pinching by using a smaller print in order to use less paper. I thought it was short sighted decision. Joke was on me.

This image reminds me of my own bookshelves upstairs. Gaping spaces where the books are already gone, most sold on Amazon in the past year.

On the plus is the Kindle app on my iPad that allows me to up the print size. And via BookBub I've read authors and types of books I'd have never chosen in a real bookstore. R. S. Belcher, Carolyn Jourdan, Mo Yan, Cathy Glass, Alan Gordon, Miklos Nyiszli, C.S.E. Cooney. I can't feel the covers or hear the page turn to expose words I've never read before, but I can read. Hundred per cent good deal.

"The more that you read
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
the more places you'll go." ~ Dr. Seuss 1904-1991

8 comments:

  1. Ah that looks like my house if I was left to my own devices...I've just signed up to good reads https://www.goodreads.com/. I've barely scratched the surface but it's good for finding and storing quotes, creating reading lists, recommendations and discussion groups. Bookbub looks interesting. free books? Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all are free, and Many of the free ones are self-published and the lack of working with an editor really shows most of the time. If I see one that sounds interesting I check the 1 star reviews on Amazon. I down loaded Homer's Iliad last week.

      Delete
  2. Does your library have those books that you can just plug a pair of headphones in and listen to? Or are you even near a public library?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we haven't had a library since Decembers flooding. I have talked about it to VodkaGimlet and she gave me some great advice. Don't know when our library will be back and it is expensive to use.

      Delete
  3. It is indeed a great invention for people who're losing their eyesight. My mother is reading her books on her iPad too for this reason and because she lacks the strength to hold a book in her hands.
    I like to read on my table too. Although I do love real books, I like to carry my little "library" with me where ever I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had books with me, usually 3 or 4 on the go at the same time :) this is lighter to pack around (hugs your frail mom)

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I do Bub! Found some great books there for a very low cost.
    Love that image too :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanette, thank you for stopping by. "weird westerns" is a Whole new category to me! Who knew there was such a genre...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn