Sunday, June 19, 2016

Redundant

Daily Draw: Native American Tarot ~ 9 of Cups

Having it all. Far different than wanting it all. Being creatures of both avarice and need, there are times when something more enters the picture.
I saved extra cash in envelope until I had enough for a top of the line electronic typewriter to replace the sleek little manual my folks gave me in my teens. $700.00, Made redundant by progress.
Saved for the first computer, 1996, $2700.00,  also redundant.
Saved for first top of the line sewing machine, $1400.00. Cried like a baby when told the motherboards couldn't be found for love or money.

I'm reminded by this card the computer linked to the printer is better. Printers and computers have come down so much in price, that is a good thing. But redundant sewing  machines. That is criminal. So now I mostly sew on machines from the 1940-1960 era. All metal, parts easily found.  Next week I'm starting a project on my treadle.

"For 50,000 years, ever he invented fire, the wheel and very recently the microprocessor, mankind has been striving endlessly to make himself 100 percent redundant." (no attribution found)

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha the first shop owner I contacted about my bobbin winder problem stated, they only could fix mechanical machines since the digital ones are too complicated and they almost always have to be returned to the factory :(
    Now I've found a dealer of my brand machine in our town. Fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's so much technology in things these days they can't be fixed and are just left broken. A pity because mending things is really therapeutic. Nothing wrong with my laptop but inspired by this post I might write something on my typewriter to see if I still can :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our lifestyles are so entwined in technology. I was talking about the possibility of the world going dark with some kind of cataclysmic event and my niece responded "what no Google?" You will be able to keep yourself in sweaters when everyone around will be in rags because they never learned to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now if only the ink for the computer printers would come down in price... :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn