Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Punica granatum

Daily Draw: Tabula Mundi Tarot ~ 6 of Coins/Discs

Amazing where you get to when goofi researching. I couldn't remember if I'd written about Grama Ruth and pomegranates so searched my blog. Which lead to a 2008 post with links to personal finance blogs.

Two dead links, two still live and working their program. I wonder if the first two became so adept at financial stewardship they didn't need the help of blogging about it? Or if they fell off the wagon like so many dieters, and are now eyeballs deep in debt. I hope for the prior not the latter.

"I envied women with signature hair-dos, signature perfumes, signature sign-offs. Novelists who tell Vogue Magazine: "I can't live without my Smythson notebook, Pomegranate Noir cologne by Jo Malone and Frette sheets". In the grip of madness, materialism begins to look like an admirable belief system." ~ Emma Forrest 1976-

8 comments:

  1. Are the keys to an enriching life through frugality?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. been thinking more about your question. My frugality path, is what doesn't matter, get the generic, so I have free cash for the things that do. I like butter. Generic green beans are fine. We don't drink or smoke, which can cost hundreds of dollars a month, so I don't begrudge the cost of being connected, etc. I know saying "I saved $30.00 on this coat" means absolutely zero unless you put that $30.00 in the savings on the way home. Otherwise you've just bought a coat regardless of the cost.

      Delete
  2. Rich? or enriched? Tough question really, but acquisition isn't.
    Rob's folks were super frugal, and we often poked fun at it over the years. But living up there for three years sent us home with some good examples of common sense, painless thrift ideas that make us smile. Middle ground is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I am penny wise. Other days I am all in.

      Delete
  3. Ah, I love to have time for goof, uh I mean researching. :) We live simply though not frugally; it's not always easy but it sure is saner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stopped buying magazines (or glorified catalogues) a couple of years ago because of those type of 'articles' it all became a bit homogenous and predictable. A lot of those cultural intermediaries have trust funds or are married to very wealthy men who bankroll the 'just so' lifestyle that is peddled in those pages to ordinary women. Some of the savings are in the bank, the rest went on tarot decks. Still consumption but at least they make me think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quit buying magazines in 1996. I think at the time there were 16 quilt magazines being published, and to be honest I couldn't tell one from the other. Much of daily life is habit isn't it?

      Delete
    2. It is! But speaking as a habitual habit maker breaking habits feels surprisingly liberating :)

      Delete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn