Saturday, July 30, 2016

What A Hoot

Daily Draw: Santa Fe Tarot ~ 8 of Wands/Rainbows

Look a bit like cell antennas. Used to take months for a pony express letter to arrive in the untamed western US. I did a lot of letter writing in the 80's, took five days for a first class letter to go across country. And we used onion skin paper and special envelopes to cut weight for overseas air mail.  Now communication is instant yet I hardly send mail/messages of any kind.

I'm reminded by this card of all the ways sudden has changed just in my short life. Tasty produce and gorgeous roses from the opposite end of the world. Fish sticks take about 30 minutes in the oven, 2 minutes in the microwave, tasting unpleasant both ways. We used to wait for TV to warm up before we would get a picture, from our choice of 3-5 channels and we changed channels with a knob on the set. We had to get up and walk to the set, isn't that a hoot? And they went off air about 1 AM.

 What we call happiness in the strictest sense comes from the (preferably sudden) satisfaction of needs which have been dammed up to a high degree." ~ Sigmund Freud 1856-1939)

8 comments:

  1. I ordered a print from your side of the world last week. £3 customs charge (fair enough) but £8 for the 'royal' mail to stick a card through my door informing me of that? Grrr

    Over here we call them fish fingers - your post reminds me how weird that is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah. we have chicken nuggets. Ever see a chicken with a nugget? They probably run in packs with the fish fingers.

      postal costs have taken all the fun out of paper mail. And I've heard a lot of people complain about the 8 pound they touched it fee.

      Delete
    2. Fingers and nuggets running free Ha ha!

      I reckon the post 'service' over here thinks you never use us these days so when you do we will royally sting you. I can't see their business lasting too long.

      Delete
  2. When read you post I get a bit nostalgic but Then I have to remind myself I enjoy the benefactions of online communication and that includes also sms, mms what'sapp messenger etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be nostalgic for the younger skin and bones, but I truly believe each day we live, now is the good old days.

      Delete
  3. I had forgotten about the tv's having to warm up and come in focus. So many changes. Technology has come so far. I fear for many when the the plug gets pulled on all the tech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we will all be in the dark together. The good side is we can imagine the distant folks coping in various ways to the same problems as us. We could light the whole of the Congo with the power we waste on the 'always on' feature

      Delete
  4. Reminds me of my younger friends and family members. I can't ever reach them if I try to call, but send them a text and the reply is nearly instantaneous!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn