Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Chew Over Enlightenment

Daily Draw: Runic Tarot ~ Ken/Kenaz

Enlightenment, revelation, positive path via new knowledge. Sounds great doesn't it?

I'm reminded by this card of the 1976 national election. I made up my mind to vote for Ford early on. On the eve of the election I saw a long ad for Ford in which the final sentence shocked and angered me. So I voted for Carter. It was a mistake, he wasn't a DC insider, he had no contacts or leverage or history and he spent 4 years spinning his wheels. Of men I admire he would be at the top..but in DC? I learned a lesson to chew over enlightenment, see who or what is manning the switch.

"Before enlightenment; chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment; chop wood, carry water." ~ Zen Proverb

9 comments:

  1. Fresh ideas are intoxicating, but it really comes down to who can get the job done. In politics it is 'who you know' and how well you can 'grease the palm' I love all the politicians that say vote for me and you vote for change. It takes more than one person to run the village. One against thousands in the political machine and those are the ones we know about. Still here is to the 'fire' of idealism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom once told me, long before I was old enough to vote, sometimes it comes clear down to the VP you don't like the least :) I have faith, as a whole nation, we are a pretty smart, level headed society. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
    2. Well I am not one to get in to politics that much but I will say a huge contingent of Indiana said "Yay" when Mike Pence was chosen as Trumps running mate. We passed the problem on to someone else.

      Delete
    3. I like both vice presidents, a relief of a sort.
      current politics is a boring blog post, but that is where enlightenment took me this morning, to the back in time machine.

      Delete
  2. I guess enlightenment would be just waking up to reality as it is, without all our opinions and preferences attached.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be hard to choose which candidate it best suited to become for president. Especially this time around :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your federal political system so different to ours. President's agency to effect change depends on control over senate and house of representatives? We have the house of lords which sometimes get uppity but mostly rubber stamp. Probably because every government creates a whole load of peers to smooth their path. Here as with you the majority never really vote for what we want just take a punt on the least worst option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the beauty of your system is in six weeks you can change it. About the only thing a president has the real control of is the nukes button. How scary is that?

      Delete
    2. It is. We are told to hide behind a larder door as defence against nuclear war. Really?

      Delete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn