Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Harvest Of What?

Daily Draw: Runic Tarot ~ Ger/Jera

In agricultural societies, a good or bad harvest meant life or death and what you couldn't grow yourself could be expensive or difficult to get. Now we have grocery stores and EBT cards and a comparative bed of roses life.

I look at Ger and wonder what my harvest has been, of the fallow years devoted to anger and illness. Of the productive years and all we've accomplished and gained. Of a working life with few vacations but fun every day Rob was home; I'd choose that again. An overharvest of possessions, oh yes, I'd redo that in an instant. Totally differently.  And I wonder what exactly am I harvesting now. Will I look back in ten years and wonder, "what was I thinking?".

"Life is not a harvest. Just because you have an apple doesn’t mean you have an orchard. You have an apple. Put a fence around it. Once you have put a fence around everything you value, then you have the total circle of your heart." ~ Sheila Heti 1976-  How Should a Person Be?

10 comments:

  1. I like to harvest to good and the bad. The lessons and the blessings. I've learned a new word today: "blesson"
    let's harvest baskets full of blessons :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have read a statement to the fact that you do not believe in reincarnation. The longer I read your blog posts the more I am convinced you spent at least one lifetime as a philosopher. Aristole, Epicurus, Confucius, Plato, Zeno, someone ring true for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all old men with grey hair, yipes stripes!. I do hope the fence around my heart now is enormous and full of holes.

      Delete
  3. This is a beautifully written post. I savoured every word. From what little I know you have harvested words (you logophile) great ideas and the odd wayward student (me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. logophile. new word! Thank you. I just gifted you an eyepad...

      Delete
  4. What a thought provoking post, particularly in regard to looking back at what kind of moments were wasted and and what kind were pure joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only look back in interest, not regret. No redos..
      I met Griz and Debra today for lunch. Way fun! Beautiful day.

      Delete
    2. I'd only look back to figure out what worked and what didn't. Oh, I envy you getting to meet up with some of the AT bunch! I thought Debra was in Hawaii?

      Delete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn