Pages

Monday, September 5, 2016

Is it Marseilles?

Daily Draw: Marziano Tarot ~ 6 of Turtledoves/Cups/Chaistity

Respect and admiration. Robert Place and Ross Caldwell.

I'm reminded by this card of the three base tarot deck types. Marseilles/TdM, Waite, Thoth.  
I'm not sure where this deck falls because the minors have two courts and 10 pips.
Two of the suits begin with Ace, two begin with the tens.
There are sixteen majors, all mythic gods, four each dovoted to the four suits.
I've had many Marseilles/TdM decks over the years and all of the Robert Place decks. His decks are unusual, and deeply researched. I've read many Ross Caldwell scholarly thoughts on historical tarot decks; the basis of the art, the original use for gaming. His translation of the original Marziano document was the seed for this deck in particular, and he is in the process of writing companion book for this deck. The question remains...Is it Marseilles, or Oracle?  Place has named it Tarot.

A link to images of the Marseilles styles.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe a blend of tarot and oracle : so Oraclot or Taracle or.....I think Tarot will be just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting deck; I'm sure Caldwell's book will be a plus. Do the pip cards that start with ten go down or up (10, 11, etc.)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea there were so many Marseilles decks. Thanks for sharing the Ross Caldwell reference - I'll have a look at his work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caldwell and Place consider this to be the new first deck rather than the Visconti. And because I respect and admire both of them, I'll call it tarot. But if it were a run of the mill deck...it would be an oracle on my list. It appears the start at 10 to 1 suits, the definitions for an ace in those suits would be written as what the 10 is. I've run across this a few times before but the idea of two masculine and two feminine suits in combination with the reversed order is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Tarot encompasses a progressive story line. The Majors and the Minor. Major events and and day to day things. Oracles are stand alone, which a card from a Tarot deck could be too. So I am guessing your deck this week is more tarot than oracle, but really it still - a picture worth a thousand words with both.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn