Friday, October 14, 2016

A Dell

Daily Draw: Tarocco Piemontese ~ 3 of Cups/Coupes

Remember Egroups? Which morphed into YahooGroups? Long time predecessors to Facebook. Before that there were newsgroups and alt groups I think. I saved for two years to get my first computer, but wasn't fired up enough to buy one until I understood there were quilting groups out there on the web. My first computer was a Dell and cost me $1700.00 in October 1996.

I'm reminded by this card of all the places I've been and people I've met on my little magic machines. Of all the big brains that go into making touch screens and miles of code, that work. Of the white hats and black hats that work against each other to make or break the whole system. My first sewing contact on-line? WadesList, made up of New Home/Janome sewing machine users. What I miss most? Factory installed Word.

"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." ~ Henry Ford 1863-1947

6 comments:

  1. We had a computer for several years before I even was slightly interested in learning to how operate it. Now I can't imagine my life without it and all the people it connects me with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope all is well out there for you. I watched the Weather Channel earlier and the whole coast is getting ready to be slammed by remnants of the the typhoon. Might lose your internet connection and then what good is a computer anyway; oh well. My first computer was a Dell as well. I used to able to tell the difference between the white and black hats of society, not so much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are comparing the coming winds to the 1962 Columbus Day storm. I sincerely hope it isn't so. We are cosy here together and will be hanging onto our roof with all our thumbs and fingers :)

      Delete
    2. Keeping you in my thoughts! Be safe

      Delete
  3. Saw your post title and was thinking "The Farmer in the Dell."
    Hope you guys are hunkered down and don't have any problems the storm.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn