Saturday, October 22, 2016

Booby

Daily Draw: Animal Totem Tarot ~ Knight of Cups/Blue Foot Booby

From the book: "the most dangerous quest of all is the one of the heart". My mind went straight to Barb. From a 2008 post: I once told a friend if we put all the men she'd dated (and married) in a locked room the world would be safe for womankind.  Her judgment in men was obscured by her desperation, she didn't feel complete unless there was a man in her life.

I'm reminded by this Knight, Blue Boobies don't mate with Red Boobies but how do humans ever know who isn't blue and who isn't red? Mostly we don't. I got lucky because I knew at 17 what I didn't want which cut out about 75% of the local gene pool. My Knight is still my choice, but I still don't know if he is the Blue Foot or the Red Foot.  And maybe that is what doesn't matter at all.

The Blue Booby

The blue booby lives on the bare rocks of Galápagos and fears nothing.
It is a simple life: they live on fish, and there are few predators.
Also, the males do not  make fools of themselves  chasing after the young ladies.
Rather, they gather the blue objects of the world
and construct from them a nest—an occasional Gaulois package,
a string of beads, a piece of cloth from  a sailor’s suit.
This replaces the need for dazzling plumage;
in fact, in the past fifty million years the male has grown considerably duller,
nor can he sing well. The female, though, asks little of him—
the blue satisfies her completely, has a magical effect on her.
When she returns from her day, she sees he has found her a new shred of blue foil:
for this she rewards him with her dark body,
the stars turn slowly in the blue foil beside them like the eyes of a mild savior.  James Tate 1943-2015

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely insightful post. Thanks. I have had friends like your Barb, sometimes they collected the rotten type just so they had something to complain about. Yeegads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and some collect their dads. I think at least 1/2 of Barb's selections would have been fine, given time to get to know each other, before marriage or moving in.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you have found your perfect booby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desperation widens the field of eligibles, but dramatically increases the chances of landing a creeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How switched on were you at 17! I tell my younger (love struck/heartbroken) relatives only 5% of the male population worth talking to and they are only worth talking to 5% of the time. An exaggeration but it sometimes yields a smile. As you say many relationships would work out ok if people didn't just move in with each other after 3 or 4 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, welcome home. I don't know that I had any brains then, but I've never been much for gray. My opinions have pretty much black and white. But I am now very willing to talk with people who think differently than me. If they are civil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be back! And I have a whole week of your posts to catch up on. :) coffee brewed - me time starts now.

      Delete
  6. You're right on with this post ;-)
    Here we have red-footed boobies, quite nearby, but I've never seen nary a one. http://www.mcbhawaii.marines.mil/Departments/Installations-Environment-Logistics/Environmental/Fish-Wildlife-Plants/Wildlife/Native-Species/Land-Based-Native-Species/Red-Footed-Booby/

    ~~Debra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy webfeet! Never crossed my mind that duck type feet can grasp a limb. I'm reading a book called Beaks Bones and Birdsongs. Fascinating.

      Delete
  7. The quote by Tate is beautiful. For me the ability and will to make a nice nest beats dazzling plumage any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn