Thursday, October 20, 2016

Social Breakdown

Daily Draw: Animal Totem Tarot ~ Tower/Termite

Termites are eusocial with a highly developed social system where everyone has and knows its place. And like bees and ants, have managed to survive intact over eons.

I'm reminded by this card human society over millions of years has always been a case of build the tower, blow the tower, build again. New faces, same old places, same old story.  I'm reading Dinosaurs Without Bones in which the ancient tracks are expected to tell the whole social story. Can't be done in my opinion. Our ancient cycles of human history are mostly mute, subject to interpretation and opinion based on very little. I hope my history is part of the building, not the blowing.

"Some primal termite knocked on wood.
And tasted it, and found it good.
And that is why your Cousin May
Fell through the parlor floor today." ~ Ogden Nash 1902-1971  Good Intentions 

5 comments:

  1. "Eusocial" - a new word for me. :) I keep hoping we are learning something as we keep blowing things up and starting over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. new to me also, it is going to be a good day indeed

      Delete
  2. The great spiral of Life, spins us right back to where we started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Besides utterly insane, I think we are also very resilient as a species.
    (thanks for the new word)

    ReplyDelete
  4. eusocial from Greek Eu (good) plus social. Great! New word + lesson in teamwork.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn