Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Myth in the Myth

Daily Draw: Ancient Feminine Wisdom Deck ~ Penelope

Condensed story: Penelope and Odysseus were married because Odysseus meddled in the outcome by making extravagant oaths to the king. Trojan war began requiring Odysseus to fulfil his oath. Ten years of war and ten years making his way home. Leaving Penelope twenty years of singlehood raising their son.

Fake news indicating he had fallen in battle; she flung herself in the sea but was pulled out by ducks. I've read four different myth sources and none contain the sea episode. I'm reminded by this story I'm reading Bulfinch's Mythology, written by Thomas Bulfinch in the mid-1800s. It clocks in on my Kindle app at 658 pages. He had to have been incredibly faithful to his subject to narrow it down to that many pages.

"For Mythology is the handmaid of literature; and literature is one of the best allies of virtue and promoters of happiness." ~ Thomas Bullfinch 1769-1867

10 comments:

  1. You would think in twenty years she would have gained a sense of independence and self-sufficiency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. many of either sex wouldn't have made it twenty minutes. But that is gods and goddesses...ever the gloryqueens and dramakings

      Delete
  2. To read that much of story of Penelope and Odysseus you must have strong connection. I remember having to read the Illiad and Odyssey in High School and can't remember much of it. Strange because I love mythology in most forms. Maybe it is time to go to library and give them a read. No buts about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of the reasons I like this deck as it is all new to me. So I don't pull the cards with any sense of judgement, although I'm often full of it after a little research :)

      Delete
  3. I love reading myths. As it happens I've been rereading Norse myths almost throughout this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah now you've used this deck, it makes me want to take it off my to-sell list on TABI. Doh! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carla, good to see you! It is one of my favorites, mostly because I like Kay Steventon's deck art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah Bullfinch's. We took our old battered copy down from a shelf today to look up a query we had about Zeus. Reaching for a book is often much easier than firing up Google!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate I am able to read at all, but kindle on my ipad is no book with marbled pages or the soft paper with the crookedey page cuts. And the scent of a bookshop. I miss it all, but I am appreciated of being able to read at all. and around I go. I'm working on a letter. Lovely onionskin paper. Terrible handwriting.

      Delete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn