Saturday, January 28, 2017

Stink Eye

Daily Draw: Minchiate Etruria ~ 7 of Cups

Leap for the brass ring. If I had to think about it how many opportunities have I missed by dithering, and how many have I gained by just leaping in regardless, I think the totals would be about even.

I'm reminded by this card we are apt to not leap because our near and dear say "that will never work", and  "are you kidding?". I wonder what promotes that kind of safety in the known advice in the first place? Is it that our nearest and dearest don't want us to be hurt or appear foolish, or is it outside the box thinking shakes their own tree? One raised eyebrow combined with 'the look' has surely sank many valuable and brilliant ideas.

"I live for myself and I answer to nobody."~ Steve McQueen 1930-1980

9 comments:

  1. I think if we were to know our own selves more intimately and deeply, we could leap without too much worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably off a bridge :) I think there is a reason we don't see ourselves as others do

      Delete
  2. I tend to warn my loved ones because I don't want them to be disappointed or hurt but thinking about this I wonder how many successes I've nipped in the bud over the years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, there is our side of it too. If someone has told me a dream, my first response usually starts with Well... Right there I need to snap my mouth shut.

      Delete
  3. That look of shame from others has halted many. I know it has halted me in days gone by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know someone who wasted a lifetime and immense talents doing nothing because of a fear of making mistakes. Some of the cautiousness rubbed off but very so often I surprise myself with a foolish leap. No such thing as perfect decisions when we don't have perfect information...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a piece on Warren Buffet today in which he says we will have our greatest success if we seek a job we want to do for life. Everyone I know took the first job offered, and that was the basis of moving up. A trajectory of chance.

      Delete
    2. Taking a job and building from there better than sitting around deciding for ten years. Who knows at 16 what job they want to do for life and what jobs will exist in 20 years time? I think we become what we are supposed to be whether paid or unpaid for our work...

      Delete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn