Pages

Friday, March 31, 2017

Nefandous

Daily: Words ~ Archaic

Back to books in my Amazon kindle app...I just finished The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith: The End Of The Story, which is oddly enough, the first collection, written between 1925-1930. Isn't the best book I've ever read, but I read every word. Because, yes, I'm a word junkie.

Especially special Clark Ashton Smith wordsmithing:
contradistinction
athwart
discried
riven
erubescent
acromalegy
allopath
thews
carycitides
trow
nefandous
aspergillus
scayrs
adamantine
telluric
lustrums
Some of these I knew, but I love being able to press the word and a dictionary definition pops up. In the case of this book the dictionary mostly came up with blank. A real contradistinction. All these words should have been included in a virtual dictionary. (flounces from the room)

    "Once, or maybe twice, in a lustrum,
         Too much wine puts me in a flustrum,
         And when I feel gaga,
         At the end of the saga
         I fall down face-first in Ligustrum" ~ Bard of Buffalo Bayou

6 comments:

  1. Ah but in your critique of those nefandous lexicographers you've spotted a gap in the market (as all good entrepreneurs do) for a magnificient dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it is time I should learn some real English :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your English is perfect. And if you use one of these words on me next week I won't remember what it meant! I suppose we could use them for curse words, couldn't possibly offend anyone...

      Delete
  3. The coddlewomple definition made me laugh and reminded me of a punch line: I dont know where Im going, but Im making damn good time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you must be the one I overtook when I jumped on my horse and rode off in all directions

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn