Pages

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Why Us?

Daily Draw: Tabula Mundi Tarot ~ 5 of Cups

Failed expectations. Did we fail to live up to our own expectations?
Or were our expectations doomed to fail before we ever got there?

I'm reminded by this desolate view of the six of us that hung out in high school. All six of us were married within the year following graduation. Five of us are still working that original field of diamonds. I wonder what made our little group so different from the average of forty to fifty percent US marriages which end in divorce?

Amongst the dehydrated crevices of a desert earth you will stumble upon your diamonds; in between the dry skulls and cracked bones." ~  C. JoyBell C.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that is some amazing odds. Wonder if it is a generational thing? We do live in a throw-away society these days, which also seems to include people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What odds? Rob's folks were married 62 years, his mom's sisters all had one divorce and one had two divorces. My nieces and nephews are all over the map too. My little sister and big brother were both married twice and on the third loves they both nixed marriage at all. Interesting.

      Delete
  2. Toss what doesn't work away instead of working on the differences. I never married; the first time I considered it I knew I couldn't live with him the next seventy years of my life so I walked away. I never found my forever fit so I made do in my desert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. desert? more likely dessert, you get it all :) I have several friends who never married and they are happy as can be. And I've had people ask who is going to take care of us in our old age because we don't have kids. Like having kids guarantees good caregivers...

      Delete
  3. I think Love isn't enough to make a marriage work; communication, empathy, trust and perseverance are equally important ingredients to put into the mix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same things that make a friendship last I expect? Sometimes that might be harder than a good marriage, it is so easy to be too busy for friends. I'm a good case in point.

      Delete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn