Saturday, May 20, 2017

Mr. and Mrs. Sprat

Daily Draw: Enchanted Tarot ~ 7of Cups/Hearts

Castles in the air.  Any imagining you've carried your whole adult life?

Thin. Crazy. In hindsight, I've even been thin a number of times but I didn't see myself as thin, just less fat. I think I have nothing in common with bingers, purgers, anorexic sticks. I think all the fat shaming and paper thin models are only modern complications.

No. It was going on when I was a child too. I remember asking mother to take me to the family doctor when I was 7 or 8 to see if there was something medicine could do for me. I expect there was eye rolling 'tween doctor and mother, but I got a bottle of pills, I was to take one before meals. Zero doubt they were sugar pills, and I eventually forgot about help.

Cripes, the things the cards pull up. From childhood to well into my 30s I was just right. Where did I get the idea I wasn't? Even today, people bigger than I would wish to be my size. Crazy. Did you know the Jack Sprat nursery rhyme dates back to circa 1660? It relates to wartime taxes but at its base?...

5 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the "Thin is beautiful' fantasy. I was told I was fat by stepfather #1 my whole childhood (and compared to his four rail-thin children, I was). Funny how shame never motivates the way humans think it will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had issues with my weight all these days as Carolyn, I didn't come into the World that way. My Mother too was overweight. She worried for me and joined me in TOPS in my preteen days. Now mind you I was a bit hefty as they would say but I walked about five miles a day delivering papers. I wasn't really all that overweight, as much as bulked up, but the shaming worked on my self-esteem and has plagued me all these day. Oh my that felt like a confessional?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I learned from slimming class is that fat is more often the mundane outcome of poverty, overwork and emotional exhaustion than greed and profligacy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I googled that rhyme and now I am wondering if your Rob is like Mrs. Sprat? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mr. sprat. he was 127 pounds the day we married. Long family backstory on that too probably

      Delete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn