Tuesday, May 23, 2017

TMI?

Daily Draw: Etruscan Tarot ~ 10 of Cups

Eating while reclining was de rigueur in ancient Rome, although I'm doubting families without servants did. Without tv or computer, they had to do something, inviting people to dine was a favorite and meals eaten while stretched out on cushions went on for hours.

I'm reminded by this card reclining during and after meals is an excellent way to allow stomach acid to eat up the food pipe/esophagus, leading to heartburn and eventually esophageal cancer. Guess how I know.

I've had a persistent cough for at least a year, getting worse steadily, wheezy, from the chest. Limiting my willingness to go anywhere in public. Went to the pulmonologist I had for lung cancer, she ran every scan and test under the sun, both of us thinking lung cancer was knocking again. As her last resort option, she put me on omeprazole. Three days later, I'm not coughing my guts out all night, and just a few times during the day.  If you get the hot burny burp thing, think about your position while eating. I eat sitting up but I'm just lucky with weird medical stuff and I never had the burny warning, just a world record cough. TMI? Only because I care.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are better. My sister recently had similar issues and had to spend a couple of days in hospital. Makes me think about the fortunate few who lay around and eat bon-bons all day. Ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once read they even vomited between courses so they could dine even longer. That must have been a hell of an acid attack on their esophagus indeed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better to know than wonder and worry. Both my husband and a friend had the same type of persistent cough and throat clearing, and they were also diagnosed the same as you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's never TMI where you're concerned, Sharyn. -Kate

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn