Sunday, November 5, 2017

Becky

Daily Draw: Llewellyn Tarot ~ 6 of Cups

Friendship. My first best friend was Becky Firth.
We would comb the woods for that first  Easter lily. Whoever presented one to Mrs. Jones the school bus driver got a quarter.

Mother collected post cards and we used them as mystery props, so many clues, such complicated plots! We would also use those packets of stamps the comics advertised on the back page, X number for a dime, on approval. Whatever that meant.

I thought she lived in a mansion because there were front stairs and back stairs and five bedrooms up there.
They moved to town when we were in the third grade, but we occasionally got to spend weekends, I was there when the Alaskan Easter earthquake happened.
Why do I remember? I cut my foot, Mrs. Firth, a nurse, wanted to take me to get stitches, my mother via the telephone said no. I got stitches...too exciting!

I'm reminded by this card of memories. We can keep ourselves occupied for ages.

10 comments:

  1. I see your creative mind was fully formed in childhood. :) My cousins and I would play 'yardstick man' in my grandparents' rambling pre-Depression home. It was full of nooks and crannies to hide in; the seeker not only had to find, but give the hider a whack with the yardstick. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. a game that only worked if the playee hadn't played it before was kick the broom. You had the playee (victim) put one foot on the broom straw and then kick the broom handle. Makes me laugh still today. never heard of the yardstick game

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, memories of childhood now shaded with rosy hues. When I go visit family in Indianapolis I sometimes drive through the neighborhood of my childhood. We lived on a Court and it was huge and filled with adventure, and fear, and joy, and magic, and... now as I drive around the Court it takes less than a minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. everything is smaller when we go back home.

      Delete
  4. Ahhhh, childhood ... a carefree, happy, safe, fun place for some of us. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for stopping in, long time no hear. I expect you are getting tucked in for northern winter! Sharyn

      Delete
  5. I used to talk to my friend Alec the street light until one day I turned around and found my whole family in the doorway of my bedroom listening to me and laughing.

    Memmmmmorieeeees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking about all your talents this morning, paper beads came up on the QuiltingBoard, so I shared your beautiful book mark, thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice of you Sharyn, I'm glad you liked that bookmark, I enjoyed making those.

      I still have lots of paper beads, I was thinking of making more as I'm short on blue earrings or blue and white earrings. But right now I'm trying to sew several nighties and a dressing gown on the new Janome--bought a 3-way cording foot for embellishment accents on cuffs and pockets or bodices with embroidery thread and decorative stitches.

      Delete
    2. everything I've seen photos of, of your making, have a air of excellence, of mind and subject well met.

      Delete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn