Sunday, August 6, 2017

Green Lincoln

Daily Draw: Tarot of the Origins ~ 4 of Coins

Pretense. If America really is drowning in credit card and consumer debt I have to think a lot of what is owed must take the form of pretension.

Our worst case? We thought the Lincoln Mark IV had to be the most sleek exciting amazing wonderful car on the road. We went kicking tires one Sunday, fell into the little sale, big sale, hard sell line and walked out with a mile long green one.

This is the only case of buyers remorse I've ever had. What were we thinking? In 1973, in our early twenties? Talk about giving a fish a bicycle... I had a friend that worked at the Ford dealership, and two days later, I'd traded the Lincoln for a Ford pickup. Exactly what we needed for the lifestyle we had. I lost seven hundred dollars in the trade, probably two months combined wages. And I was happy. Not smart enough to understand what the 8% interest on the loan was costing us, that came a lot later.

It was a valuable lesson though in how embarrassing pretense really is.

2 comments:

  1. At least you learned a lesson from your impulsive mistake. Gobs of people are drowning in credit card debt because they haven't figured out the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought my first car at 17 in cash, saved from my job. My 2nd car was new and a lemon and also about 8% interest; what a huge lesson for me. Those two on your Four of Pentacles look like the Moai, the Watchers on Easter Island. Is the time at hand?

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn